Food Systems Summit
Food Systems Summit
In 2021, UN Secretary General, Antonio Guterres, will convene a Food Systems Summit as part of the decade of action to deliver the SDGs by 2030. Dr. Agnes Kalibata, President of the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is the Special Envoy for the Summit. She will provide leadership and strategic direction, as well as act as the liaison between the United Nations system and key partners for the Summit.
Dr. Kalibata recently released a video highlighting her message on building sustainable food systems. To transform the current food system, she notes that we must end hunger, commit to more inclusive and healthier food systems and safeguard the health of our planet. The 2021 Food Systems Summit is likely to be built around these action pathways.
The Summit will be governed by:
- A Secretariat headquartered in Nairobi with satellite offices in Rome and New York.
- An Advisory Committee chaired by Ms. Amina Jane Mohammed, Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- A Science Counsel for the Food and Agriculture Organisation to provide evidence-based data to support the summit actions.
- Food Systems Summit Champions to mobilize action toward the summit.
On September 4th United Nations Deputy Secretary-General Amina J. Mohammed and United Nations Special Envoy Agnes Kalibata released the five action tracks for the 2021 Food Systems Summit. These priority areas will help to frame the event and the discussions that will take place. These pathways will include:
- Ensuring access to safe and nutritious food for all
- Shifting to sustainable consumption patterns
- Boosting nature-positive production at scale
- Advancing equitable livelihoods, and,
- Building resilience to vulnerabilities, shocks and stress.
You can read the full press release here.
The official twitter handle for the 2021 food system summit is @foodsystems and the hashtag is #foodsystems. We encourage members to engage with the handle and use the hashtag in their social media. PSM will engage in the Summit and will share information during its quarterly calls.
If you wish to participate in the Steering Committee, please contact email@example.com
The Private Sector Mechanism will continue to follow the Summit outcomes after the 23 September event.
Find the recap for the High Level Food Systems Dialogue here.