Role and Composition of the CFS Advisory Group
The Private Sector Mechanism operates under modalities available at www.agrifood.net. The PSM holds an annual meeting and has an election process in place on a two year cycle. We happily accept registrations to engage at the CFS and operate a committee system to allow private sector actors to participate in areas of the greatest relevance to them.
The PSM supports a diversity of actors at CFS. The PSM believes in the principle of self-organising and we emphasise the importance of encouraging all Advisory Group representatives to have modalities to enable larger participation in a transparent manner.
The PSM calls for parity of seats with the CSM, given the breadth of the private sector actors involved at CFS. The private sector also encourages the inclusion of two farmer seats on the Advisory Group to recognize the unique role of farmers in food security discussions. Any change in seats on the Advisory Group should be inclusive though not unmanageable.
In PSM engagement at the Advisory Group we advocate for:
- The relevance and utility of CFS
- CFS to handle issues which are important, non-duplicative, and likely to result in action
- Increased utility of CFS outcomes including fostering the convening power of CFS to engage actors with the capacity to act
- To maintain a time-controlled environment so that CFS can be an efficient and relevant decision maker
- To ensure CFS uses precious resources of time and funds in the most cost-effective, focused manner possible