1. We, the Agricultural Chief Scientists from G20 members, met in Tokyo, Japan on 25th and 26th April 2019, along with participants from guest countries and international organizations. During discussions and building on the outcome of previous meetings, we recognized the need to continue advocating for science-based decision making as a foundation for advancing global food production.
ROME, April 4 - As candidates jostle to head the United Nations' multibillion dollar food agency, experts called on Thursday for a strong leader to tackling rising hunger and climate change threats. Levels of hunger have grown for the past three years, with one in nine people - or 821 million - worldwide without enough to eat, due to drought, floods, conflict and economic slowdowns, U.N. figures show.
On April 26, 2019, from 12:00 - 14:30 in FAO's German Room, the Private Sector Mechanism (PSM) of the UN Committee on World Food Security (CFS) will host an event in Rome to present forward-looking policy recommendations to be considered for inclusion in the Voluntary Guidelines on Food Systems and Nutrition. This event will provide an opportunity to have a first exchange of views on these recommendations with CFS stakeholders. It will also show how the Guidelines could significantly contribute to transforming food systems to deliver food that is available, affordable, acceptable, safe and of adequate quantity and quality. The PSM believes that the Nutrition Guidelines will help achieve the global nutrition goals and the agenda 2030.
The Food and Agriculture Organization is one of the most important UN bodies. Its original goals remain as relevant today as they were upon the organization’s founding:
- raising the levels of nutrition and standards of living of the peoples under their respective jurisdictions;
- securing improvements in the efficiency of the production and distribution of all food and agricultural products;
- bettering the condition of rural populations;
- and thus contributing toward an expanding world economy and ensuring humanity's freedom from hunger. (source: FAO Constitution Preamble)
April 02, 2019 | Read more ...