High-Level Forum on Women’s Empowerment
From September 25, 2017 09:00 until September 25, 2017 17:00
The Forum will promote a shared understanding of how issues related to women’s economic empowerment in the context of food security and nutrition are evolving. The Forum will also contribute to promoting mutual accountability towards the full realization of women’s rights, achieving gender equality and women's empowerment for the attainment of all Sustainable Development Goals - especially SDG1, SDG2, SDG5, SDG8 and SDG17 - and strengthening synergies among these goals in policy and programme frameworks for countries.
Specifically, the Forum’s objectives will be:
- Identifying and raising awareness on emerging challenges and persisting barriers to women’s economic empowerment and on legal and policy instruments to overcome them (including ILO Convention 100, the Convention on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and new policy instruments like CEDAW General Recommendation No. 34 on the rights of rural women);
- Sharing experiences and good practices on the implementation of existing legal and policy frameworks, strategies and approaches, as well as practical initiatives, that address the gender gaps in the agriculture/agri-food sector and thereby contribute to women’s economic empowerment (including challenges in addressing the gender data gap);
- Identifying ways in which the CFS can contribute to accelerating progress towards women’s economic empowerment, leading to improved food security and nutrition for all persons.
The Forum is expected to inform future gender-transformative policy (including CFS products and policy recommendations) and will represent the basis for future stocktaking, sharing of lessons and reflecting on persistent and emerging challenges, as well as successful strategies for empowering women economically.
Specifically, taking into account also the recommendations of the policy roundtable on “Gender, Food Security and Nutrition” held at CFS 37 in 2011 among others, the Forum is expected to lead to the identification of:
- Challenges, gaps and barriers that hinder progress in women’s economic empowerment and the achievement of gender equality;
- Experiences and good practices on the implementation of existing legal and policy frameworks, strategies and approaches, as well as practical initiatives, that address the gender gaps in the agriculture/agri-food sector and thereby contribute to women’s economic empowerment;
- Next steps for CFS to advance women’s economic empowerment, women’s rights and gender equality in the context of food security and nutrition. In particular how the outcome of the Forum will be incorporated in the development of future CFS policy, taking into account that women’s empowerment and gender equality are prerequisites for food and nutrition security for all persons.
The Forum will also contribute to:
- Increased knowledge on the use and application of existing legal and policy frameworks with relevance to the women’s economic empowerment and food security and nutrition nexus;
- Increased awareness on legal and policy instruments to achieving women’s empowerment and gender equality through food security and nutrition;
- Increased knowledge on the linkages between women, the agriculture/agri-food sector and nutrition.
The Forum’s conclusions and recommendations will be captured in a Chair’s Summary to be presented at CFS 44 for endorsement.
Hotel bookings can be made at Hotel Capo d’Africa in Rome at our special rate of EUR220.00 per night, including VAT and breakfast.
For bookings, please contact: