CFS44: Plenary of the UN Committee on World Food Security
From October 09, 2017 00:00 until October 13, 2017 00:00
UN Committee on World Food Security (CFS)
The UN Committee on World Food Security (CFS) is the main United Nations body in charge of developing policy recommendations and guidance on a wide range of food security and nutrition. The Committee reports to the UN General Assembly through the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and to FAO Conference.
Its main functions are ensuring policy convergence, coordination at global level and providing support and advice to countries and regions by taking advantage of a unique framework characterized by a multi-stakeholder institutional structure, intersectoral expertise, and a multi-stakeholder consultative process.
The annual session of the CFS takes place every year in October and bring over 1100 food security and nutrition experts.
Private sector delegation at CFS
Due to its multi-stakeholder approach, CFS is the only intergovernmental forum within the UN system, where the participation of private sector associations and civil society organizations is facilitated by their own autonomously established coordination mechanisms. If you register with the Private Sector Mechanism (PSM) delegation, you will have the opportunity to:
- Engage with large business delegation (150 to 200 business representatives from around the world)
- Engage with the large CFS stakeholders, in particular representatives of Member States (Ambassador, Councellors, Attachés)
- Participate in bilateral meetings with UN Agencies and Member States
- Join the private sector daily briefings
- Join plenary negotiations
- Speak at side-events and in policy sessions
- Share information about your organization’s activities contributing to food security, nutrition and sustainability
Furthermore, PSM financial supporters have the possibility to attend the high-level dinner, which is meant to be an exclusive occasion to discuss with Ambassadors and UN Senior Officials on selected topics related to food security and nutrition.